Classic Movies 1 - Classic Movies 2
What movie do you think of when you hear of a "classic movie"? Do "Casablanca",
"Gone With the Wind", or "Lawrence of Arabia" come to mind? What constitutes a
classic movie is largely a matter of personal preference, but there are some films
that are widely recognized as classics. These films were seen as crystallizing some
concept or story that had never been tackled before. In other words, they were
"ground-breaking" for their time. Now, there are even movie channels dedicated to
showing nothing but classic movies!
What movies of today will be the classics tomorrow? It is hard to say, but there are a
few from within the last few years that could be considered classic at some point. In
fact, one website listing classic films has already listed The Philadelphia Story as a
classic. This film was about one man's struggle with HIV/AIDS and was the first of its
kind to be made on the subject. It was released in the 1990s, but made such an impact
that is now considered a classic by some.
It might be worth some time to go over a list of classic movies on the Web to see how many
you have already watched. Are there some that would still be good to watch? Definitely.
That is why they are considered classics-they are practically timeless. "Miracle on
34th Street" is a classic movie that is always replayed on television around
Christmas time-its message is timeless and still resonates with the public after all these
years. Do not discount a movie just because of its age; some only get better with time.
Turn on a classic movie channel or go to your local video store and see if there are any movies
that appeal to you. You may find that watching it enriches your life.
© Cathryne L. Parish 2005
- Ann Dvorak - fascinating and informative site devoted to under-appreciated actress Ann Dvorak, star of Scarface, Sky Devils & many pre-Code classics.
- About: Classic Movies - with links, feature articles, chat, forum, and weekly newsletter.
- About: Summer Movies - takes a look at classic movies about summer romances, beach parties, and adultery.
- Bombshells.com - celebration of actresses from the '30s, '40s and '50s.
- Alloy Orchestra - acclaimed ensemble specializing in accompanying silent films.
- Classic Movies-Related Articles from David P. Hayes Newsgroup Postings - repository of articles dealing with various themes.
- Elizabeth's Classic Movie Page
- German-Hollywood Connection - about the impact Austrians, Germans, and Swiss had on Hollywood, with sections about studios, films, actors and actresses, and essays on noir, Tarzan, and Casablanca.
- Add Your Site Here!
- Add Your Site Here!