Independent Films 1 - Independent Films 2
Independent films are any films that are made without the help of a major production
company. Young filmmakers who do not have a large budget for a film do it for the
sake of the art of filmmaking. There are a lot of well-known films that are
independent and it may not even be common knowledge. Sometimes it is easy to take for
granted how a movie gets to the theater, but it is a long process that filmmakers go
through, made all the more difficult if they are independent of a major production
Have you heard of "Pulp Fiction", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Psycho", "Silence of
the Lambs", or "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"? They are all very popular independent
films. If you would like to find out more about independent films, try searching for them
in a search engine. You may be surprised at what films were actually made without a
professional studio's assistance. Is the quality ever different from a major studio
production? Sometimes, but that is to be expected since they are producing the movie
on a smaller budget. The graphics, fades, camera angles, etc. may not be as sleek as a
widely distributed movie, but that does not mean that the content of the film is any worse
There are many independent films that have sparked controversy. For example, filmmaker
Michael Moore has made several films, including the popular "Bowling for Columbine" and
"Fahrenheit 9/11." "Bowling for Columbine" won the Cannes film festival's Special Jury
Prize and Best Foreign Film at the César Awards in France. "Fahrenheit 9/11" also won
Best Picture at the Cannes film festival. Without independent film festivals, these
movies would be relatively unknown to the general public. Instead, they have inspired
debates around the country.
Maybe it is time to try an independent film if you have not already seen one. What you
may have thought was lower quality, may actually turn out to be a movie that sticks with
you for a long time.
© Cathryne L. Parish 2005
- IMDb: Independent Film - news, features, trailers, and more for indie, art house, and international films.
- Independentfilm.com - includes commentary, advice, and links.
- Independentfilms.com - with an online magazine and production resources.
- Indie Bin - offers an independent film directory, news, resources, and festival calendar.
- Indie Film Web - aiming to connect independent films with distributors.
- Independent, The - film and video monthly from the Association of Independent Video and Filmmakers.
- Kamera.co.uk - offers reviews, features, and interviews for arthouse, independent, and world cinema.
- MovieMaker Magazine - guide to independent film and filmmaking from around the world.
- Add Your Site Here!
- Add Your Site Here!